2 miles / 16 min
When you want to start doing speed work these are some tips that I did that worked wonders:
1. You should decide spur of the moment that you want to do speed work that night at a local track
2. You should not hydrate in preparation for this because it was spur of the moment
3. You also don't fuel properly. ie you eat falafel chips with cabot salsa grande dip, and of course the gelato from the previous post
4. You decide to do the speed work during crazy winds because that obviously makes it so much easier
5. You also decide to start this new regimen 3 days after running a half marathon. Legs are usually itching for a great speed workout after big races.
As you can see I used all of my intelligence tonight for this workout.
My legs were dead. I wanted to puke the whole time due to eating crap all day. My time basically averaged out to be exactly what my normal running time is so clearly it wasn't really a "speed" workout. I tried to run 1 lap around the track at a 8.5-9mph and then the next lap around 7mph I don't think that worked out so well for me. oh well. I know I was working hard on my speedier laps but think I slacked on my slower laps. I guess that is ok since I am trying to increase my speed...I really have no idea what I am talking about and am talking out of my butt. Clearly. It's all trial and error I suppose.
Happy national running day. Hopefully everyone got in a little bit of a run today!