Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Fathers day and a 10 miler

10 miles / 1:28:26

I had absolutely no motivation for a long run today. I knew I needed to do a long one, just didn't have it in me to motivate myself. I texted R4J early to see if she would be doing a long run and if we could do it together. No answer. hmm. Ok, I need to motivate myself. Just as I was giving myself a pep talk about how great of a runner I am and how I will only get better with more practice of long runs I got a text. It wasn't from R4J but it was from another friend whom I have been doing some runs with. She wanted to do a long run. Score! We headed out at 9am and did a 10 miler. We did a hillier route similar to the one I did last week but the wind was making it that much more difficult. I think we did exceptionally well considering the hills, the wind and the lack of motivation on both of our parts.

I am getting more and more nervous for my half on July 10th. KBCM really defeated me and I need to get my head back into the game. I need to stop dwelling on my past injury and the fear that is holding me back from really pushing myself. I need to look at my training that I did prior to my injury and get some of my speed back. I need to know that I did all that I could and trust my training for this one. I feel like I am doing more long runs than I did prior to KBCM and am hoping that these will boost my confidence. I figure if I keep a 9 min/mile pace then I will be happy with my time. However, the course is going to be a killer with tons of hills so maybe a 9 isn't possible. I just want to know I did all that I could and did the best that I could. Isn't that all we can ever ask for from ourselves?

I am glad that I got my long run in early because now it is on to celebrate Father's day. Alan and I are heading over to my parents for a bbq and the weather couldn't be better. Cannot wait! I love hamburgers and hot dogs and salad and all the fun seasonal stuff. So pumped!

What did you guys get your dads?
I got mine a Dicks Sporting Goods gift card - a little bird told me that someone needs new sneakers and my dad is notorious for buying uber cheap sneakers. Like 14.99 from Wal-Mart cheap! yeah, I know. Who is he?

What summer foods are your fave?
I love berries that are so fresh and ripe this time of year. Also love some corn on the cob and salads. However, I do love hamburgers, hot dogs, pasta and potato salad too. Not the healthiest but a little bit wont kill you!

What are your father's day plans?
Heading over to the parents house to relax and celebrate my dad!

2 comments:

  1. Great job getting the long run done even when you weren't feeling it! Sadly I'm nowhere near my dad (or father-in-law) this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we should drive the route of the Mad Half so we can check ou the hills and assess our goals accordingly.. Whatcha think?

    ReplyDelete