Saturday, May 28, 2011

Never limit where running can take you

3 miles / 31:29

This was a nice easy run along the waterfront with Bart Yasso. It was awesome. Quite a few people showed up to the fun run and so I chit chatted with a few people along the way. It was just so nice and low key. Bart and I were the only 1/2 marathoners - he has done enough fulls for the both of us, and the rest of the people there were full marathoners for tomorrow's race. There was one person and tomorrow will be his first marathon. It was very inspiring talking to fullers as I really aspire to run a full in the near future. I have my sights set for next VCM to run my first full. It was where I ran my first 1/2 and so it seems like the right thing to do to have it be my first full. Next year.

Today's high: Running with Bart
Today's low: None yet.

Yesterday I went to the Expo to check it out with R4J. We had a lot of fun poking around and checking out the booths. I picked up Bart's book at his booth and had him sign it for me. He wrote an awesome line in it. Never limit where running can take you. Just what one needs to hear every once in a while.

I sometimes get really bogged down with the miles to go in order to complete my run, or my race or my goals. Sometimes life bogs me down and I put running on the back burner. However, running is the one thing that makes me feel free, alive and worth while. It makes the thoughts in my head that are so chaotic and erratic seem put in place and I can make sense of it all. It helps me unwind from my day, or wake me up in the morning.

I have been trying to make running a priority. I think I have made great strides in that most recently. I have signed up for races that I want to do, Alan is more than supportive of my "addiction" and I have reconnected with some old friends like R4J and made some new ones to run with. Running has brought a lot to my life in this past year. I have lost weight, gained insight and perspective, and has strengthened friendships. I will try to continue to not limit where running can take me because I am scared, stressed, overwhelmed or too tired. Running, is and should remain, a priority to me.

So I challenge you all- push yourself. Don't limit yourself. Don't take the easy way out by falling short because it is easier to do so. Push yourself to the limit and push harder to exceed where you thought you could go. Don't settle for what you can do well, Strive to exceed and excel in something you thought you couldn't do. Not doing it to the best of your ability is failing. Don't Fail!

1 comment: